Science & Society

Science and Society and how they get along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Santa Barbara, California, United States

I'm a physicist and science consultant specialized in optics, lasers and optical engineering. This blog, StarkFX, looks at what applications physics is finding today. Or, if you are looking at my StarkEffects blog, it displays my views about and interest in the interface between society and science.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Animal's Rights

I'm continually amazed at the evil people do to each other. I'm even more amazed by the reasons they give for doing it. Of course, all through history we see people using religions (none of which actually espouse doing evil) as their motivation for hurting or killing others. But the most amazing excuse for attacking others is the animal rights issue. How can you twist rationalization so far that you can justify firebombing a research scientist's house -even assuming it is "immoral" to do research on animals.

What really motivates people to hurt others? How does a person come by the desire to harm other people? There must be an explanation that doesn't refer to the devil. My inclination is to look to evolutionary biology, but I haven't yet discovered a good explanation for this anti-social behavior. I'll bet there has been an evolutionary advantage for fanatic certainty of one's point of view in the face of disparaging logic, facts or reality. Maybe it could even make you a president.

troy@starkeffects.com
http://www.starkeffects.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home