Science & Society

Science and Society and how they get along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Santa Barbara, California, United States

I'm a physicist and science consultant specialized in optics, lasers and optical engineering. This blog, StarkFX, looks at what applications physics is finding today. Or, if you are looking at my StarkEffects blog, it displays my views about and interest in the interface between society and science.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

More Hope

My last post was somewhat discouraging regarding the quality of science information available. Unfortunately, I have not changed my mind about that particular scientific news source, but I have cause for an improved outlook. Even on the web, higher quality information is becoming more readily available. Wikipedia.com and Britannica online have both impressed me quite a bit with high quality detailed information.

Even more impressive has been the quality I've found on the shelf of "popular" science books at the local bookstore. I often spend my lunch hour at Borders Books in Goleta (Hollister & Storke, if you're in the neighborhood) and the number of quality of science books as well as the variety of subjects written about has improved dramatically over the last several years, or maybe it has been decades, I am getting up there in years. When I was a kid, the books on science I came across were either dry textbooks (I loved my organic chemistry text I found at the salvation army store) or they were popularized science which was more science fiction than reality. Lately I have found wonderful books on mathematics and physics and biology all written in a style that anyone could understand and they manage to be both exciting as well as accurate. That is exactly what I like to find, accurate descriptions of the fascinating science being done!

Troy@Starkeffects.com
http://www.starkeffects.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home