Science & Society

Science and Society and how they get along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Santa Barbara, California, United States

I'm a physicist and science consultant specialized in optics, lasers and optical engineering. This blog, StarkFX, looks at what applications physics is finding today. Or, if you are looking at my StarkEffects blog, it displays my views about and interest in the interface between society and science.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

How do we make math exciting?

I've been fascinated by good lectures on math and science, lectures that displayed the beauty of the subject. Actually, math has always been driven by aesthetic motivations so it is no wonder that there are many who find the subject absolutely enthralling. Unfortunately, there are a great many more in our country (USA) that will never be able to see how sexy science and math can be. The reason is that a good foundation in these subjects is essential before the deeper beauty can be appreciated.

How can we get young people excited about these subjects? How can they start to enjoy the satisfaction of thinking and the thrill of that "aha" experience you get after hours of trying to solve a math problem and then suddenly you have the answer?

My little website http://www.starkeffects.com is devoted to an attempt at showing how exciting these subjects can be, but I will need help. Right now, my way of asking for help is to offer you a chance to show off. If you have a great article or just a page showing the beauty of these subjects or just a great way to explain a math or science topic or subject then please send it to me. I will be creating a page or several pages to display these articles. Your name and your email address as well as any links in your article will be kept intact since we want to give credit where it is due. This is a chance for you to show off your knowledge, and if you are really involved in science and math, you probably love to show off your knowledge (I think most of us do). Your help in this matter is needed, desired and will be very appreciated.

Thanks
Troy Stark
troy@starkeffects.com
http://www.starkeffects.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home