Science & Society

Science and Society and how they get along.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Santa Barbara, California, United States

I'm a physicist and science consultant specialized in optics, lasers and optical engineering. This blog, StarkFX, looks at what applications physics is finding today. Or, if you are looking at my StarkEffects blog, it displays my views about and interest in the interface between society and science.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Dolphins are way cool to watch!

I was reading a recent article about a theory that dolphin intelligence is due to social interaction. This theory isn't too novel, it has been discussed for at least decades just based on my experience.

More importantly however, I was watching dolphins from the beach today. Arroyo Burrow (sic) beach affords a great view from the restaurant, The Brown Pelican, so that you can watch dolphins or whales while you enjoy dinner. Today however, I saw something that I had never seen in the wild before: dolphins were actually jumping out of the water in beautiful arcs just like they do at Sea World. Such a simple sight is still thrilling to me. Human intelligence is fascinating enough --it makes observing other animals so entertaining! At least I like to imagine that my pleasure in such observations is due to intelligence.

troy@starkeffects.com
http://www.starkeffects.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home